I read around for strategies on platform migration of EBS R12 and 11g DB. There are paths defined by Oracle which guides such migrations. Given below is a high level description of an oracle endorsed approach of App-Tier migration process. DB migration is a separate topic and should be dealt as such.
- Most of the application tier migration can be done in advance and a very minimal downtime is required. However DB tier migration will require downtime (you have to move the 2 TB data from one place to other!)
- The below steps are explained in detailed in the note (438086.1) which was my reference.
- OS system requirements in the new platform target machine.
- Software requirements on source and target machine (zip, JDK, perl etc)
- Apply the latest AD Patch (R12.AD.B.DELTA.3 for 12.1)
- Upgrade to EBS 12.0.4 or higher
- Apply the latest Autoconfig template patches
- Apply the latest Rapidclone Patches
- Apply Platform Migration Patches & Additional Patches (No Patched advised for 12.1.x at this point of time)
- Run Autoconfig on Source system
- Run adpreclone in source system
- Run maintain snapshot (And this must complete successfully)
- Identify Tech Stack Updates to be done to the Target machine after the migration. This is done by using technology Stack Inventory utility
- Migration tasks
- Generate and upload the manifest of customer-specific files. This is used to generate a custom migration patch. The custom migration patch created is specific to specific upgrade only and contains all the files contained in the APPL_TOP that are binary specific to the new target platform. This patch is therefore applied in the new environment.
- Copy the Source System to the Target System
- Install JDK and InfoZip utilities on the Target System
- Copy the Source System Context File to the Target System
- Clone the Applications Context File on the Target System
- Install the Application Tier Technology Stack
- Run AutoConfig setup phase on the Target System
- Download and apply the customer-specific update with AutoPatch
- Review Component Versions and Technology Stack patch level
- Regenerate File System Objects
- Clean Nodes
- Run AutoConfig to complete the Target System configuration
- Finishing tasks
- Update Third Party Extensions.
- Review and update Target System Application Tier Settings and Customizations
- Update printer settings
- Update Oracle Workflow configuration settings
- Verify the APPLCSF variable setting
- Update the SESSION_COOKIE_DOMAIN value in ICX_PARAMETERS
- Start all services on the Target System
Application Tier Platform Migration with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 ID : 438086.1